Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Conversations - episode 1

Francis Ford Copolla's classic Coversations was a masterpiece on communication and perspectives. If you haven't already watched it, I recommend you do. I've always been fond of that movie. Growing up in India, one often encounters hordes of poverty stricken people. The sheer number of people who are destitute, poor or sick is so overwhelming that most city dwellers quickly develop an immunity of sorts - sidestepping them, looking past their vacant eyes and tightening their purse strings. In the bay area, I have a unique opportunity (I feel) to explore their lives without drowning in misery (I hope).

I am curious to know what the set of life's set of events were that led them to where they are right now? A breakup, layoff, cheating spouse, abuse, addiction or neurological disorders?


The reasons are as follows:
  • Empathy - if they would accept it, I would gladly spend a few hours/week listening to stories
  • Life stories - stories have always been the traditional way to convey information
  • Why it is hard for people to bounce out of adversity? What does it tell me about adversity, life and myself?


In an attempt to get this project started, I semi-nervously stopped by the homeless, fro-haired, bespectacled young gent who I've often seen off of Euclid and Hearst in Berkeley. I asked him, if I could buy him dinner and was hoping he would pick the delightful and wholesome sandwich shop next door. Much to my dismay, Bongo (bingo?) burger was chosen and I made at least five trips between him and the server to make sure he got the meal he wanted. I then asked him, if he would like to talk (hopefully not sounding like I was looking for some sexual healing) and I got the best damn answer I could have received - "Well, I'm busy.". I smiled, wished him a pleasant meal and laughed at myself. It was definitely a false start but it was interesting nevertheless. 

Afterthoughts:

I'm convinced afro-haired dude was off his medication. He was coherent to a large extent but slow in processing things. His motor co-ordination was a bit off for someone that young, but not significant enough(??). He did mutter a lot to himself. I'm unsure if that was the road getting to him or if it was a symptom of an underlying neurological disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment